Professional gaming (also known as eSports) is a growing industry that’s popular with both men and women. The top players can make a full-time living from playing video games, but many other people work in esports as well. In this article, we’ll look at what being a pro gamer means for your career and earnings potential.
How do professional gamers earn money and a salary?
Professional gamers earn money in the same way as any other professional athlete or entertainer, but with a few twists.
- Sponsorship: Professional gamers can earn money from sponsorships, which are agreements between sponsors and players that involve promoting products in exchange for payment. For example, if you’re sponsored by basketball shoe company Nike and wear their shoes during a tournament game, they will give you some sort of monetary reward (money). This can be paid out over time or all at once.
- Prize Money: The prize pool for gaming tournaments is typically made up of entry fees and other contributions from sponsorships and donations. A portion of this money goes to the winners while the rest goes back into funding future tournaments (which allows more people to play!)
- Streaming Channel Revenue: Some professional gamers make their living streaming themselves playing video games online through platforms like Twitch, YouTube Gaming or Mixer. These streams usually involve commentary from the player about what he/she is doing in-game along with interaction with viewers who tune in to watch him/her play live! This can be an extremely lucrative source of income for talented streamers; however, it does require constant effort on their part since streaming requires consistent work hours each day which makes it difficult for some people who may have other commitments such as schoolwork etc…
What other careers are available in esports?
There are a number of careers in esports that don’t involve competing as a player. For example, you could pursue a career in sports management or financial analysis. You could also pursue a career as an analyst, marketer, community manager and content creator at an esports company.
There are also plenty of opportunities for people who have experience with broadcasting and social media marketing to gain employment in the industry.
How do you become a professional gamer and earn a salary?
- To become a professional gamer and make money, you’ll need to play video games.
- You’ll also need to be able to play the game at a high level of skill—and prove yourself in tournaments.
- If you’re talented enough, teams will want you on their squad and may offer you a contract. In return for your skills, they’ll pay you an annual salary. These salaries vary depending on team size, sponsorship deals and tournament wins/prize pools (for example: if someone wins $100K in a tournament that has $5 million in prize money).
How many hours do professional gamers work?
Professional gamers work on a part-time basis. Most professional gamers work as full-time employees and have other jobs, including working in the gaming industry. They are often paid a salary by their team or sponsor. Professional teams do not pay their players based on the amount of hours they play video games or how much they win; instead, they compensate them with salaries like any other sports team would pay its players.
Professional gamers do not get paid per kill or win, but instead earn money through tournament winnings and sponsorship deals with brands who want to associate themselves with popular eSports personalities. Some teams also have contracts where they have an obligation to pay their players if certain milestones are met (like winning a championship).
What are the disadvantages of becoming a professional gamer?
Of course, being a professional gamer isn’t all fun and games. The industry is still relatively young and untested, which means there isn’t a lot of job security. If you play pro for the money and not just because you love what you do, this can be frustrating if your team folds or gets disbanded.
Traveling can also be difficult; while some players may have sponsors that pay their way wherever they need to go, others might have to scrounge up enough money for themselves—especially if they’re new at the game and don’t have much name recognition yet!
Additionally, most people don’t understand what being a pro gamer means or how it works; maybe they think “Arena” is some kind of competitive sport (it’s not) or maybe they’ve never heard of Overwatch before (though that’s understandable). This can lead to awkward situations where no one knows how to act around you at events—and since it’s hard as hell finding someone who understands gaming culture well enough without being part of it themselves (in my experience), sometimes I’ve had trouble making friends with people who aren’t gamers too.
Finally: despite all its upsides…being a professional gamer has its downsides too! You’re going to travel for work every once in awhile–you’ll miss important events like weddings or birthdays–and sometimes things will go wrong during tournaments that cause frustration among everyone involved
Is esports a good career?
It’s a great career choice if you have the skills and are willing to dedicate yourself fully to it. For example, a professional player can earn as much as $250,000 per year from prize money alone. But it’s important to remember that getting there requires hard work, study, and practice—the same qualities that make for successful people in any industry. So if you want to be successful at esports or games generally (and who doesn’t?), then I would encourage you not just to play but also study up on game design principles and game theory so that your skill set is as broad and deep as possible
Tips on Becoming an eSports Player
- Practice, practice, practice. While it’s not the only requirement for becoming an eSports player, it’s definitely a big one. It doesn’t matter how good you are at your favorite game if you don’t know how to win against other players who are equally skilled at the same game.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks and try something new. Sometimes the best way to learn is by making mistakes—like when I accidentally deleted my entire team while playing Overwatch because I was too busy thinking about what color my hair should be next week (I wanted magenta).
- If someone says they hate your favorite game or think that playing video games is dumb or stupid, ignore them! Or better yet: tell them why they’re wrong and then block them on social media so they can never bother either of us again.* Do whatever it takes to stay positive—even if that means watching cute animal videos online during breaks between rounds in tournaments.* Find a mentor who will help guide you throughout all phases of being an eSports player from beginning as an amateur (or even amateurish) player into becoming a pro-level competitor with international fans cheering on their every move like we did with Ninja last year during Stage 4 Finals for Fortnite World Cup 2019.* Be confident in yourself!
Who is the highest-paid gamer?
- The highest-paid Dota 2 player is KuroKy, who earned $2.6 million in 2016 and $1.5 million in 2017.
- The highest-paid League of Legends player is Faker, who earned $1 million in 2016, but hasn’t yet topped that number since then.
- The highest-paid Overwatch player is Taimou (or Timo Kettunen), who made $500k last year.
Conclusion: How Much Money Do Professional Gamers Make
Congratulations! You have a better idea of how much money professional gamers make and what it takes to become one. The most important takeaway is that it’s possible to earn a living by playing video games. Now, go out there and play some games! Playing video games is an incredibly popular pastime around the world and some of the best players have reached the top of their game. Professional gamers can earn a handsome living, with their average salary estimated to be anywhere between $60,000 and $400,000 USD per year depending on the games they play! Players earn money from streaming, tournaments and sponsorship deals. Some professional gamers even make in excess of $2 million USD annually, making it one of the higher-paying jobs when compared to most other industries. With technology and gaming abilities advancing each year, there’s huge potential for professional gamers who are at the top of their game to continuously increase their professional gamer salary.